Thursday, February 14, 2013

Mini Corn Dog Muffins



In my opinion you can not have chili without cornbread.  Since my husband was bringing chili (see post below) his potluck at work,  I wanted to make something with cornbread to accompany it.  I searched the internet and found the great idea of putting a piece of hotdog in corn muffins.  What genius can up with this idea, I don't know but I would like to thank them!  I love sweet corn bread so that is what I used for my mini corn dog muffins.  I found a great recipe here http://saffronstreaks.com/recipes/southern-honey-cornbread-muffins/  for sweet corn bread muffins.  I doubled the recipe and I got about 18 mini muffins.  Cut each hotdog into six pieces, fill each mini muffin tin with a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop of corn bread mixture then press one piece of hotdog in the middle of each muffin. Bake and enjoy!

Recipe: Southern honeyed corn muffins

Summary: Sweet and tender cornbread muffins in southern style, with honey and sour cream results in more tender crumbs.
The recipe has been adapted from foodnetwork

Ingredients

  • Yellow cornmeal : 1/2 cup
  • All-purpose flour : 1/2 cup
  • Baking powder : 1/2 tsp
  • Baking soda : 1/2 tsp
  • Brown sugar : 1/4 cup
  • Honey : 1/4 cup
  • Salt : 1/8 tsp
  • Sour cream : 1/2 cup
  • Egg : 1
  • Butter : 3 tbsp melted

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven at 400 F.
  2. Grease and flour mini muffin pan.
  3. In a bowl sift the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
  4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the melted butter, honey, sugar and sour cream and mix it well.
  5. Add the egg-butter-sugar-cream mixture into the flour-cornmeal mixture.
  6. With a cutting action mix the dry and wet ingredients together until well incorporated.
  7. Do not over mix the batter, it should be lumpy.
  8. Divide and spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
  9. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until done.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minutes

No comments: