Thursday, February 14, 2013

Award Winning Chili


My husband was having a pot luck for Super bowl at his work and he signed up to bring chili.  I turned to the internet of course and found this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/award-winning-chili-105865 It uses both black beans and kidney beans so I decided to try it out.  It didn't hurt that it got really great reviews.  Everyone at my husband's work LOVED it, I must say it is the best chili that I have had! 

Ingredients:
 

1 lb ground venison or 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey  (I used 85% lean 15% fat ground beef)
2 onions, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tablespoon jalapeno, finely chopped
1 (14 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes (like Rotel)
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked if you can find it)
1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup water (I substituted beef stock & only added about 3/4 cup because we like our chili a bit thick)
 
Toppings

sour cream
cheddar cheese
green onion

Directions:

1.  Cook ground meat with onions and peppers in dutch oven.
2.  Drain excess grease and add tomatoes, seasonings, and beef stock, bring to a boil.
3.  Add beans, cover and simmer 1-2 hours. (I like to cook mine for about 4 hours)
4.  Serve with toppings.

Enjoy!

No comments: