In my opinion you can not have chili without cornbread. Since my husband was bringing chili (see post below) his potluck at work, I wanted to make something with cornbread to accompany it. I searched the internet and found the great idea of putting a piece of hotdog in corn muffins. What genius can up with this idea, I don't know but I would like to thank them! I love sweet corn bread so that is what I used for my mini corn dog muffins. I found a great recipe here http://saffronstreaks.com/recipes/southern-honey-cornbread-muffins/ for sweet corn bread muffins. I doubled the recipe and I got about 18 mini muffins. Cut each hotdog into six pieces, fill each mini muffin tin with a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop of corn bread mixture then press one piece of hotdog in the middle of each muffin. Bake and enjoy!
Recipe: Southern honeyed corn muffins
Summary: Sweet and tender cornbread muffins in southern style, with honey and sour cream results in more tender crumbs.
The recipe has been adapted from foodnetwork
- Yellow cornmeal : 1/2 cup
- All-purpose flour : 1/2 cup
- Baking powder : 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda : 1/2 tsp
- Brown sugar : 1/4 cup
- Honey : 1/4 cup
- Salt : 1/8 tsp
- Sour cream : 1/2 cup
- Egg : 1
- Butter : 3 tbsp melted
- Preheat the oven at 400 F.
- Grease and flour mini muffin pan.
- In a bowl sift the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the melted butter, honey, sugar and sour cream and mix it well.
- Add the egg-butter-sugar-cream mixture into the flour-cornmeal mixture.
- With a cutting action mix the dry and wet ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Do not over mix the batter, it should be lumpy.
- Divide and spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until done.
Cooking time: 15 minutes